BASF is listed in the ‘European Biocidal Products Regulation (EU/528/2012)’ in Article 95 Active Suppliers List for each of the active substances as described below. BTC’s product portfolio comprises the biocides product range from BASF and is therefore compliant with the EU regulation. The products are authorized for the market. The use of the biocides is classified by the product type (PT). Biocides defined as an active substance are single ingredients which have an activity against or on a harmful organism. An active substance must be further formulated by the customer before entering the market.
Application areas of PT13: products used to control microbial deterioration in fluids
Biocidal product type number 13 (PT13) refers to products used to control microbial deterioration in fluids used for working or cutting metal, glass or other materials.
Protectol® PE is chemically 2-Phenoxyethanol and is rated as an active substance.
- It is a clear, colourless and odorless liquid. It is miscible with water and a range of polar organic solvents, such as ethanol and propylene glycol.
- It can be readily incorporated into a variety of different formulations.
- Protectol® PE is a moderate active against a broad range of microorganisms. For this reason it is often used in combination with other active ingredients. Activity extends over a broad pH range, which means that the product can be used in a wide variety of formulation types.
Protectol® HT - Hexahydrotriazine
Protectol® HT is chemically 1,3,5-tris-(2-hydroxyethyl)-hexadydro-1,3,5-triazine and is rated as an active substance. Further synonym is Hexahydrotriazine.
It is a biocide that releases formaldehyde (formaldehyde-release biocide). Thus it has a similar range of activity to that of formaldehyde. The release of formaldehyde is depending on pH and temperature but as a general rule the lower the temperature, the lower the amount of formaldehyde and in addition, the release is greater at lower pH.
Protectol® PE is used in combination with other active ingredients for the formulation of
- disinfectants and
- disinfectant cleaners
- for hard surfaces and
- for surgical instruments.
- preservatives used for metal working fluids, adhesives and industrial additives.
Protectol® HT as active substance is used to make preservation formulations used for
- metalworking fluids,
- industrial additives,
- polymer dispersions and lubricants,
- latex emulsions,
- water dispersible paints.