Lutein is a phytochemical contained in many fruits and green leafy vegetables. Typical dietary sources are mangoes, spinach and kale. Lutein belongs to the group of carotenoids which are known for their antioxidant and UV/blue light filtering properties. Humans accumulate lutein in their eyes as a natural shield against light. Known as “macular pigment”, it has been recognized for its ability to support vision by improving both contrast and glare sensitivity. Some studies suggest that lutein supplementation may help support normal macular pigment optical density in patients with age-related macular degeneration (AMD). As an antioxidant, lutein is part of the body's defense network against oxidative stress.
Properties of Lutein
- available in powder form and as oily suspension (various grades)
- natural sourced and available from organic certified marigold flowers
- clinically proven Xangold® lutein esters
- cold-water dispersible powder
- excellent flowability and low dusting
- vegetarian, allergen-free formulation grades
- complies with highest quality standards and regulatory requirements
Applications of Lutein
In food applications the lutein product range is mainly used for colouring (E 161b) of the final product to yellow. During food production, our Lutein remains stable and produces versatile, vibrant colours that consumers find attractive. Food products, which use Xangold® are for example beverages and infant nutrition.
Further specialty chemicals for food fortification
- Vitamin A (Retinol)
- Vitamin D (Cholecalciferol)
- Vitamin E (Tocopherol)
- Vitamin K1 (Phylloquinone)
- Vitamin B1 (Thiamine)
- Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)
- Vitamin B3 (Nicotinamide)
- Vitamin B5 (Calcium D-Pantothenate)
- Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine)
- Vitamin B9 (Folic acid)
- Vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamin)
- Mixed carotenoids from algae source
- Plant sterols
BTC Europe is BASF's European sales organization for small and medium sized customers. Our product range covers selected speciality chemicals and performance polymers to a variety of industries as well as raw materials and additives for the pharma, food, animal nutrition and personal care industry.
Our solutions for the human nutrition industry cover health ingredients like vitamins, plant sterols, carotenoids, Omega-3s, conjugated linoleic acid, besides others. As food additives we offer antioxidants, emulsifiers, whipping emulsifiers, baking enzymes, functional fat powders, and lipids.