BASF is listed in the ‘European Biocidal Products Regulation (EU/528/2012)’ in Article 95 Active Suppliers List for each of the active substances as described below. BTC’s product portfolio comprises the biocides product range from BASF and is therefore compliant with the EU regulation. The products are authorized for the market. The use of the biocides is classified by the product type (PT). Biocides defined as an active substance are single ingredients, which have an activity against or on a harmful organism. An active substance must be further formulated by the customer before entering the market.
Application areas of PT3: products used for veterinary hygiene purposes
Biocidal product type number 3 (PT3) refers to products used for veterinary hygiene purposes such as disinfectants, disinfecting soaps, oral or corporal hygiene products or with anti-microbial function. They are used to disinfect the materials and surfaces associated with the housing or transportation of animals.
Protectol® GA - Glutaraldehyde
Protectol® GA is chemically 1,5-pentanedial, also known as Glutaraldehyde and is rated as an active substance.
- It is a liquid water solution and available with a concentration of 50% and 24%. It is miscible in all proportions with water and a range of polar solvents such as methanol, ethanol and propanol.
- Glutaraldehyde aqueous solutions are most stable at acidic pH values.
- With increasing alkalinity, biocidal effects increase in short term but will decrease in the long term.
Protectol® GL - Glyoxal
Protectol® GL is chemically 1,2-Ethanedial, also known as Glyoxal and is rated as an active substance.
- It is a clear, colourless liquid with approximately 40% active and approx. 60% water. It is miscible in all proportions with water and a range of polar organic solvents such as methanol, ethanol and propanol.
- It can also be readily combined with Protectol® GA.
Protectol® FM is chemically formic acid and rated as an active substance.
- It is a colourless to slightly yellow liquid and consists of a pungent, product specific odour.
- Two concentration levels are available, ~85% and ~99%, and it is fully miscible with water.
Protectol® GA (Glutaraldehyde) is a highly effective antimicrobial agent. It is active against a broad range of microorganisms and is used in a wide variety of application areas, such as
- surface and instrument disinfection,
- veterinary hygiene purposes,
- microbiological control of industrial processes (e.g. water treatment, odour control/chemical toilet sanitation).
Protectol® GL is used in formulations of disinfectants for
- hard surfaces,
- animal husbandry,
- sanitizers usually in combination with other active ingredients.
Protectol® FM types are cost effective biocides with a broad spectrum of activity (including against some viruses). The products are effective at relatively low concentration and they are formaldehyde free. They are mainly used in
- veterinary and hard surface disinfection.
Formulations are critical to performance and they are often combined with other active ingredients.