Besides other B-vitamins, vitamin B12 is also produced by BASF. In order to ensure a sufficient vitamin B12 level, it is often supplemented with dietary supplements. Especially people, who follow a vegetarian / vegan diet should take care of their vitamin B12 level.
Vitamin B12 (Cobalamin) is a collective term for compounds which have a cobalt atom in the centre of a porphyrin-type ring system, but different substituents. Vitamin B12 is responsible for degradation of certain fatty acids and amino acids. It plays an important role for the methyl group transfer in the synthesis of amino acids. Therefore, vitamin B12 is important during the synthesis of nucleic acids and proteins. It plays an important role in growth and development processes.
People with a vegetarian / vegan diet often suffer from vitamin B12 deficiency. For people with a balanced diet, vitamin B12 deficiency is extremely rare and manifests itself most clearly in the megaloblastic anaemia (pernicious anaemia) and neurological disorders.
Properties of vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamin)
- Cyanocobalamin with 0,1% and 1,0% concentration
- available in power form
- free-flowing, pink powder with mild characteristic odour
- somewhat soluble in water, soluble in alcohol
- complies with highest quality standards and regulatory requirements
Applications of vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamin)
For dietary supplement applications vitamin B12 is particularly suitable for use in tablets and hard gelatine capsules. Due to the small particle size and relatively low vitamin B12 content of the dry powder, the vitamin can be distributed very homogenously even in formulations with a low active content. The product can be perfectly used in powder preparations, which are dissolved in water prior to use, e.g. sports nutrition products.
Further products for dietary supplements
Explore also our
- Vitamin A (Retinol) > for dietary supplements
- Vitamin D (Cholecalciferol) > for dietary supplements
- Vitamin E (Tocopherol) > for dietary supplements
- Vitamin K1 (Phylloquinone) > for dietary supplements
- Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) > for dietary supplements
- Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) > for dietary supplements
- Vitamin B3 (Nicotinamide) > for dietary supplements
- Vitamin B5 (Calcium D-Pantothenate) > for dietary supplements
- Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine) > for dietary supplements
- Vitamin B9 (Folic acid) > for dietary supplements
- Antioxidants / Natural mixed tocopherols > for food and dietary supplements
- Beta-Carotene > for dietary supplements
- Mixed carotenoids from algae source > for dietary supplements
- Lycopene > for dietary supplements
- Lutein > for dietary supplements
- Omega-3 fatty acids > for dietary supplements
- Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) > for dietary supplements
- Plant sterols > for dietary supplements
BTC Europe is BASF's European sales organization for small and medium sized customers. Our product range covers selected speciality chemicals and performance polymers to a variety of industries as well as raw materials and additives for the pharma, food, animal nutrition and personal care industry.
Our solutions for the human nutrition industry cover health ingredients like vitamins, plant sterols, carotenoids, Omega-3s, conjugated linoleic acid, besides others. As food additives we offer antioxidants, emulsifiers, whipping emulsifiers, baking enzymes, functional fat powders, and lipids.