BTC offers several forms of high quality vitamin A grades tailored to your specific needs for food and beverage fortification. We can support you to find the best grade, which fits with the matrix of your food product.
Physiological importance of vitamin A
Vitamin A plays an important role in the visual system of the eye and in reproductive processes. All higher forms of life require retinol for reproduction. Vitamin A provides protection for the entire ectoderm and benefits growth and functionality of the skin as well as the mucous membranes. Moreover, vitamin A has a positive effect on the immune system by increasing the formation of antibodies.
- increased light sensitivity
- dry eyes
- impaired adaptation to the dark
- night blindness (hemeralopia)
Vitamin A deficiency may also cause
- reduced resistance to infection
- reproductive disorders
- in children, vitamin A deficiency stunts their growth
Properties of vitamin A (Retinol)
- available as vitamin A Acetate, vitamin A Palmitate and vitamin A Propionate (various grades)
- powder and oily forms
- best-in-class flowability and dispersibility
- complies with highest quality standards and regulatory requirements
Applications of vitamin A (Retinol)
The use of vitamin A in the food industry is subject to controls due to the risk of overdose. Currently, it may only be used in certain product groups. Depending on the country, these product groups include food products for babies and small children, dietetic food products for weight loss, balanced diets, margarine, spreads, milk and dairy products.
Besides food fortification vitamin A is also used for dietary supplements.
Further products for food fortification
Explore also our
- Vitamin D (Cholecalciferol) > for food fortification
- Vitamin E (Tocopherol) > for food fortification
- Vitamin K1 (Phylloquinone) > for food fortification
- Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) > for food fortification
- Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) > for food fortification
- Vitamin B3 (Nicotinamide) > for food fortification
- Vitamin B5 (Calcium D-Pantothenate) > for food fortification
- Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine) > for food fortification
- Vitamin B9 (Folic acid) > for food fortification
- Vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamin) > for food fortification
- Antioxidants / Natural mixed tocopherols > for food and dietary supplements
- Apocarotenal > for food fortification
- Beta-Carotene > for food fortification
- Mixed carotenoids from algae source > for food fortification
- Lutein > for food fortification
- Lycopene > for food fortification
- Omega-3 fatty acids > for food fortification
- Plant sterols > for food fortification
BTC Europe is BASF's European sales organization for small and medium sized customers. Our product range covers selected speciality chemicals and performance polymers to a variety of industries as well as raw materials and additives for the pharma, food, animal nutrition and personal care industry. Our solutions for the human nutrition industry cover health ingredients like vitamins, plant sterols, carotenoids, Omega-3s, conjugated linoleic acid, besides others. As food additives we offer antioxidants, emulsifiers, whipping emulsifiers, baking enzymes, functional fat powders, and lipids.