BTC offers you a wide range and different forms of vitamin D for various food applications. With our technical expertise we can support you to find the right grade for your end-product.
Vitamin D is also known as the anti-rickets vitamin. In addition to the hormones calcitonin and parathyroid hormone, it is required for the calcium homeostasis regulation as well as the phosphate metabolism. Its active form is the vitamin D hormone calcitriol. Calcitriol also leads to incorporation of calcium and phosphorus in the skeleton, thus maintaining the mineral content of the bones. Therefore, it plays an important role in the prevention of osteoporosis. In addition, results from recent scientific studies indicate that vitamin D may play an important role in heart health, immunity, and in the prevention of diabetes, autoimmune diseases, and cancer.
- lack of vitamin D negatively affects both calcium homeostasis and phosphorus metabolism, which may lead to rickets in babies and small children
- in adults, D-hypovitaminosis causes osteomalacia. This disease is characterized by demineralization and structural changes in the mature bones resulting in softening, bending, and even spontaneous fracture
Properties of vitamin D (Cholecalciferol)
- Vitamin D3 (Cholecalciferol) available as powder or oily forms
- excellent quality, outstanding flowability and outstanding stability
- very temperature stable powder
- long shelf life even at 25°C
- complies with highest quality standards and regulatory requirements
Applications of vitamin D (Cholecalciferol)
The use of vitamin D in the food industry is subject to controls due to the risk of overdose. Currently, it may only be used in certain product groups. Depending on the country, these product groups may include food products for babies and small children, dietetic food products for weight reduction, balanced diets, margarine, spreads, milk and dairy products.
Besides food fortification vitamin D is also used for dietary supplements.
Further products for food fortification
Explore also our
- Vitamin A (Retinol) > for food fortification
- Vitamin E (Tocopherol) > for food fortification
- Vitamin K1 (Phylloquinone) > for food fortification
- Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) > for food fortification
- Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) > for food fortification
- Vitamin B3 (Nicotinamide) > for food fortification
- Vitamin B5 (Calcium D-Pantothenate) > for food fortification
- Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine) > for food fortification
- Vitamin B9 (Folic acid) > for food fortification
- Vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamin) > for food fortification
- Antioxidants / Natural mixed tocopherols > for food and dietary supplements
- Apocarotenal > for food fortification
- Beta-Carotene > for food fortification
- Mixed carotenoids from algae source > for food fortification
- Lutein > for food fortification
- Lycopene > for food fortification
- Omega-3 fatty acids > for food fortification
- Plant sterols > for food fortification
BTC Europe is BASF's European sales organization for small and medium sized customers. Our product range covers selected speciality chemicals and performance polymers to a variety of industries as well as raw materials and additives for the pharma, food, animal nutrition and personal care industry. Our solutions for the human nutrition industry cover health ingredients like vitamins, plant sterols, carotenoids, Omega-3s, conjugated linoleic acid, besides others. As food additives we offer antioxidants, emulsifiers, whipping emulsifiers, baking enzymes, functional fat powders, and lipids.