Lutein is a powerful antioxidant and helps to prevent oxidative stress. Lutein does not have provitamin A activity. Lutein is the major carotenoid found in the human eye and plays an important role in eye health, as it is being accumulated in the eye tissue. Together with some metabolites, they are the only carotenoids found in the lens and retina of the human eye. Higher blood levels of Lutein and Zeaxanthin are associated to a higher macular pigment density. The density of macular pigment is considered a marker for macular health. It strongly correlates with Lutein intake and is inversely related to the risk of age-related eye disease. Additionally, Lutein and Zeaxanthin may protect the eye tissue as a natural filter of blue light and as antioxidant.
- available in powder form and as oily suspension (various grades)
- natural sourced
- clinically proven Xangold® lutein esters
- cold-water dispersible powder
- excellent flowability and low dusting
- vegetarian, allergen-free formulation grades
- complies with highest quality standards and regulatory requirements
The Lutein and Xangold products are obtained from the marigold flower (Tagetes erecta) which has a high natural concentration of Lutein and Zeaxanthin. The concentration of these carotenoids in the Xangold products represents the concentration in the flower.
In terms of dietary supplements, the BTC Lutein grades from BASF can be used in tablets (direct compressible grade available) or hard gelatine capsules. The final application can be related to e.g. eye health (eye drops etc.).
Further specialty chemicals for dietary supplements
- Vitamin A (Retinol)
- Vitamin D (Cholecalciferol)
- Vitamin E (Tocopherol)
- Vitamin K1 (Phylloquinone)
- Vitamin B1 (Thiamine)
- Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)
- Vitamin B3 (Nicotinamide)
- Vitamin B5 (Calcium D-Pantothenate)
- Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine)
- Vitamin B9 (Folic acid)
- Vitaim B12 (Cyanocobalamin)
- Antioxidants / Natural mixed tocopherols
- Mixed carotenoids from algae source
- Omega-3 fatty acids
- Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA)
- Plant sterols
BTC Europe is BASF's European sales organization for small and medium sized customers. Our product range covers selected speciality chemicals and performance polymers to a variety of industries as well as raw materials and additives for the pharma, food, animal nutrition and personal care industry.
Our solutions for the human nutrition industry cover health ingredients like vitamins, plant sterols, carotenoids, Omega-3s, conjugated linoleic acid, besides others. As food additives we offer antioxidants, emulsifiers, whipping emulsifiers, baking enzymes, functional fat powders, and lipids.