Phytosterols are steroid compounds, which appear in the membrane of plants. The chemical structure is similar to Cholesterin, but has an additional chain and a double bond in the structure. Naturally Phytosterols are found in vegetables, fruits, legumes, nuts and grains. The best-known types are ß-sitosterol, campesterol, stigmasterol, brassicasterol. Sterols occur also in an esterified form with natural plant oils. This form makes it easier to handle the product for food or encapsulated applications.
The health effect of Phytosterols is based on the ability to reduce the risk for cardiovascular diseases. High cholesterol levels are the main contribution factor to the development of coronary heart diseases. Due to an increased LDL-cholesterin level the risk for atherosclerosis rises. The cholesterol deposits on the vessel wall narrow the vessel so that the blood flow is disturbed. Consequently, the risk for myocardial infarction/coronary heart diseases and stroke is increased.
The probable mechanisms are visible at the intestinal level, as the absorption of cholesterol in the gut is reduced. Another effect is the inhibition or competition with the enzyme pancreatic cholesteryl esterase.
The two effects result in a lower adsorption of cholesterol in the corp.
1-3 g/d of plant sterols/plant sterol esters results in ~7-12% LDL cholesterol reduction. With the daily human diet we consume ~160 – 400 mg/d out of natural components.
Properties of phytosterols (plant sterols)
- available in oil and powder form
- naturally sourced ingredients
- broad range of free phytosterols and phytosterol esters
- scientifically supported and regulatory compliant in the major markets
- excellent sensory profiles
- complies with highest quality standards and regulatory requirements
Applications of phytosterols (plant sterols)
The Vegapure® 95 E product range was the first permissible plant sterols ester product for official use in the EU in dietary supplements. The oily grades of the product can be used for soft-gelatin capsules or liquid preparations. Potential applications for grades in powder form are tablets, hard shell capsules, pH neutral instant powder mixes or nutrition bars. Some grades are not recommended for use in tablets because they will not withstand the pressure applied during the high-speed tableting.
Further products for dietary supplements
Explore also our
- Vitamin A (Retinol) > for dietary supplements
- Vitamin D (Cholecalciferol) > for dietary supplements
- Vitamin E (Tocopherol) > for dietary supplements
- Vitamin K1 (Phylloquinone) > for dietary supplements
- Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) > for dietary supplements
- Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) > for dietary supplements
- Vitamin B3 (Nicotinamide) > for dietary supplements
- Vitamin B5 (Calcium D-Pantothenate) > for dietary supplements
- Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine) > for dietary supplements
- Vitamin B9 (Folic acid) > for dietary supplements
- Vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamin) > for dietary supplements
- Antioxidants / Natural mixed tocopherols > for food and dietary supplements
- Beta-Carotene > for dietary supplements
- Mixed carotenoids from algae source > for dietary supplements
- Lycopene > for dietary supplements
- Lutein > for dietary supplements
- Omega-3 fatty acids > for dietary supplements
- Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) > for dietary supplements
BTC Europe is BASF's European sales organization for small and medium sized customers. Our product range covers selected speciality chemicals and performance polymers to a variety of industries as well as raw materials and additives for the pharma, food, animal nutrition and personal care industry.
Our solutions for the human nutrition industry cover health ingredients like vitamins, plant sterols, carotenoids, Omega-3s, conjugated linoleic acid, besides others. As food additives we offer antioxidants, emulsifiers, whipping emulsifiers, baking enzymes, functional fat powders, and lipids.