Polar solvents for printing inks applications are oxygenated solvents consisting of the product families Butoxies (Solvenon® PnBs), Butyl Glycols, Acetates, and n-Propanol.
Brands for printing inks
Properties of polar solvents for printing inks
Properties of Glycols
- Colourless, neutral, slightly hygroscopic.
- Mobile liquid with a mild odour.
- Miscible with water and common organic solvents in all proportions at room temperature.
- Limited miscibility of n-Hexyl Glycol with water.
Properties of Solvenon®, also known as Butoxies or as PnB, DPnB or TPnB
- Dependent on the product they have different volatilities and low odour.
- Other properties depend on the individual product, making them suitable for different purposes.
Properties of n-Propanol
- Mild smelling alcohol, semi volatile, polar and clear.
- Water missible.
- Solvent of high purity and a starting material for synthesis.
Properties of Acetates
- Solvents from low to medium volatity.
- With solvent power for numerous natural and synthetic resins and dyes.
Applications of polar solvents for printing inks
Printing inks applications of Glycols
- Used as solvents or co-solvents for printing inks, stamp pad inks, writing and drawing inks.
- Butyl Glycols can be used to coalesce our Joncryl® dispersions in order to reach best properties of film forming and glass transition temperatures in water based inks.
Printing inks applications of Solvenon®
- Used as solvents in the production of inks.
- In particular suitable for digital inks.
- Solvenon® products can be combined with our Sicocer® pigments for ceramics and other sustainable solvents like Emulan® to formulate advanced digital inks for ceramic applications.
Printing inks applications of Acetates
- Used as solvents in flexographic, gravure and screen printing inks.
- To solubilize dyes used to print and colour leather and textiles.
Printing inks applications of n-Propanol
- Used as a solvent in flexographic inks to improve drying properties.
Printing inks applications of n-Propanol S
- Used for applications where a very high purity is required.
Latest Expertise Plus Information on oxygenated solvents / polar solvents for printing inks: Oxygenated solvents now also available from BTC