BTC’s product portfolio covers a wide range of waxes, including polyethylene waxes, ethylene copolymer waxes and polyether waxes. Poligen® waxes and Poligen® emulsions are ideal products in industrial formulations when surface modification, or Surface protection properties are requested.
Our portfolio comprises also various wax emulsions, based on different polyethylene copolymer waxes. Wax emulsions are liquids and are often incorporated in water-based formulations to improve surface properties.
Brands of waxes and wax emulsions
Properties of waxes and wax emulsions
Synthetic waxes like BTC’s Poligen® Wax types refer to pure waxes of oxidized polyethylene waxes or ethylene copolymers. They are defined by their mechanical and physical properties. The chemical constitution is mainly different. Oxidized polyethylene waxes are of high hardness and higher molar mass.
Oxidized waxes are solid at ambient temperature and have a melting point around 100°C. Because of their high melting and setting points, Poligen® Wax are products that can be easily emulsified under pressure in a closed system, for example in a low-pressure autoclave. Nonionic-anionic emulsifier systems composed of fatty alcohol ether ethoxylates together with alkali hydroxide or amines have proved to be particularly effective.
Poligen® products are already emulsified waxes and for ready to formulate purposes. The oxidized ethylene polymers provide the property of emulsification and thus wax emulsions can be prepared.
Applications of waxes and wax emulsions in industrial applications
The use of waxes and wax emulsions is versatile. In industrial applications waxes are used for a variety of applications due to their versatile properties.
- Poligen® Wax OA is an oxidized PE hard wax. Because of the high melting and setting points it can be emulsified under pressure in a closed system only, i.e. in a low-pressure autoclave. Poligen® Wax OA types find applications also as
- smoothing agents in textile finishing,
- anti-abrasion agents in water-based paints,
- rubbing fastness improvers in aqueous printing inks,
- rubbing fastness improvers in water-based coating varnishes,
- mold release agents in plastic and cast-metal processing.
- Poligen® Wax V is a polyvinyl ether wax. It is a specialized wax used in metal and plastic applications to provide temporary protection against corrosion. It is also usable as mould release agent.
- Poligen® CE is a wax emulsion of copolymerized wax which is free of an emulsifier. It is used in surface protection applications. It protects the metal from corrosion and enhances the optical appearance of the surface.
- Poligen® WE is a wax emulsion of hard and soft oxidized PE waxes. In combination with nonionic and anionic emulsifiers Poligen® WE is used in paper board coatings, overprint varnishes, polyurethane coatings, printing inks, textile finishing, besides others.
- Poligen® MW is an aqueous nonionic emulsion of a montanic ester wax. It forms a very buffable film with high gloss and high mechanical stability. Therefore it is usable in a versatile range of applications. As additive in the glass industry Poligen® MW improves the abrasion resistance and scratch resistance. In the plastics industry it is used as mould-release agent. In the metal industry Poligen® MW finds application as slip agent and as well mould-release agent. In the printing inks industry it is used as additive. There are also applications for Poligen® MW in water-borne paints, wood paints, rubber and latex processing.
BTC Europe is BASF's European sales organization for small and medium-sized customers focused on specialty chemicals. Our waxes and wax emulsions are suitable for a variety of applications, from home care in the detergents and cleaners industry to special uses in the paper, glas, metal, coatings, wood and plastics industries.