BASF is listed in the ‘European Biocidal Products Regulation (EU/528/2012)’ in Article 95 Active Suppliers List for each of the active substances as described below. BTC’s product portfolio comprises the biocides product range from BASF and is therefore compliant with the EU regulation. The products are authorized for the market. The use of the biocides is classified by the product type (PT). Biocides defined as an active substance are single ingredients, which have an activity against or on a harmful organism. An active substance must be further formulated by the customer before entering the market.
Application areas of PT1: products used for human hygiene purposes
Biocidal product type number 1 (PT1) refers to products that are used for human hygiene purposes, which are applied on, or are in contact with human skin or scalps for the primary purpose of disinfecting the skin or scalp.
Protectol® PE is chemically 2-Phenoxyethanol and is rated as an active substance.
- It is a clear, colourless and odourless liquid. It is miscible with water and a range of polar organic solvents, such as ethanol and propylene glycol.
- It can be readily incorporated into a variety of different formulations.
- Protectol® PE is a moderate active against a broad range of microorganisms. For this reason it is often used in combination with other active ingredients. Activity extends over a broad pH range, which means that the product can be used in a wide variety of formulation types.
Protectol® NP S
Protectol® NP S is chemically n-propanol and is rated as an active substance.
- It is a low-viscous liquid with characteristic alcoholic odor and it has an unlimited miscibility with water.
- It is miscible with a wide range of organic solvents like alcohols, ketones, aldehydes, ethers and glycols.
Protectol®PE is used in combination with other active ingredients for the formulation of
- disinfectants and
- disinfectant cleaners
- for hard surfaces and
- for surgical instruments.
Protectol® NP S shows a superior bactericidal activity compared to ethanol or isopropanol which are also used for disinfection purposes. It is used as
- stand-alone biocidal active in disinfectants for skin and hand epically for applications in hospital settings.