BTC’s acrylic or methacrylic specialty monomers have low colour, low viscosity and high purity. They are versatile chemical building blocks which are used to
- modify polymer properties, e.g. hardness, flexibility, thermal stability;
- influence processing conditions;
- introduce new, additional or superior application features.
Acrylate specialties serve industry trends. For adhesives
- they allow faster processing and thus lead to a higher cost efficiency;
- in low VOC (volatile organic compound) systems they lead to a reduction of emissions and comply with legal restrictions;
- BTC’s new specialty acrylates are unique tools to customize the properties of the emulsion polymerization process.
Acrylates (acrylate and methacrylate special monomers)
Properties of our acrylate specialties for adhesives
Our special acrylate and methacrylate monomers are used to impart the following properties to polymers
- Glass transition temperature (hardness),
- Polarity ,
Our acrylate specialty monomers show superior reactivities in polymerization. They
- polymerize rapidly under UV radiation,
- achieve lower viscosity in polymers,
- give access to lower glass transition temperature (Tg) which leads to softer polymers,
- lead to lower refractive indices,
- are characterized by higher surface tensions.
Our methacrylate specialty monomers are less reactive in comparision to the acrylates. They
- polymerize slower under UV,
- withstand better the weather conditions,
- show better chemical resistance,
- give access to higher glass transition temperature (Tg) which leads to harder polymers,
- cause lower skin irritation.
Applications of our acrylate specialties for adhesives
In adhesives applications BTC’s specialty monomers provide excellent crosslinking to increase the mechanical properties and chemical resistance in the adhesive layer.
Further products for adhesives
Explore also our
- Inorganic chemicals > for the adhesives industry
- Chemical intermediates > for the adhesives industry
- Plasticisers > for adhesives
BTC Europe is BASF's European sales organization for small and medium-sized customers focused on specialty chemicals. Our solutions for the adhesives industry cover besides our acrylates also inorganics & intermediates as well as polar solvents and plasticisers, besides others.