BTC’s product portfolio covers a wide range of dispersing agents. In general dispersing agents provide the property of keeping solids dispersed and they provide the flowability of the solid-liquid mixture. They keep the fluid behaviour (viscosity) on a low level and long-lasting after they are embedded in the formulation. Depending on industries they are also described as deflocculants.
BTC’s Sokalan®, Tamol® and Pluronic® types belong chemically to the class of water soluble polymers. They are either
- homopolymers or copolymers of acrylic sources (Sokalan®),
- condensation products of naphthalene sulfonic acid with formaldehyde (Tamol®).
Besides the anionic polymers also nonionic water soluble polymers are available (Pluronic®). They provide the same properties but their chemical backbone is versatile.
- Sokalan® NR (narrow range homo-polyacrylates)
- Sokalan® PA (homo-polyacrylates)
- Sokalan® CP (co-polyacrylates)
- Tamol® types (condensation products of naphthalene, or phenol sulfonic acid with formaldehyde)
- Pluronic® types (EO/PO, PO/EO Block polymers)
Properties of dispersing agents for stabilisation of dispersions
Sokalan® NR are water soluble homo polymers of acrylic acid and available as non-neutralized, partly neutralized or fully neutralized product. Sokalan® NR have outstanding performance:
- Due to a specific polymerization process the distribution of the molecular weight is narrowed.
- The most effective molecular weight for dispersing properties is provided.
- Partly and fully neutralized polyacrylates are neutralized with caustic soda.
- Partly neutralized polyacrylates are able to form bi-neutralized polyacrylates (in-situ).
- They are cost efficient compared to polyacrylates with a broad distribution of molecular weight.
Sokalan® PA are anionic water soluble polymers of acrylic acid. They are used as
- fully neutralized products, like polyacrylate sodium salt or
- partly neutralized (PN) product or
- as an acidic polyacrylate (S).
They are available as polymers with
- low molecular weight,
- medium molecular weight,
- high molecular weight.
They are provided as liquids or solid (granules) products. Sokalan® PA types with the index “CL” indicate the compatibility to chlorine containing substances. Compared to Sokalan® NRSokalan® PA types have a classical broad molecular weight distribution.
Sokalan® CP are water soluble copolymers of acrylic acid and other monomers. Certain Sokalan® CP types are specifically polymerized, thus they provide certain properties like hydrophilic or hydrophobic property.
Tamol® NN and Tamol® NH are condensation products of naphthalene sulfonic acid with formaldehyde. Tamol NN types have a low degree of polycondensation, whereas Tamol NH has a high degree of polycondensation.
Tamol® DN and PP are phenol sulfonic acid polymer with formaldehyde, phenol and urea, sodium salt.
Pluronic® types are chemically EO/PO or PO/EO blockpolymers. Pluronic® PE types use a core of propylene oxide and are then ethoxylated. Pluronic® RPE types use a core of ethylene oxide and are then propoxylated. Due to their nonionic character and the molecular structure they are also useable as dispersing additive. In addition and in relation to the alkoxylation distribution they provide defoaming properties as well.
Applications of dispersing agents for stabilisation of dispersions
Sokalan® NR, PA and CP types for paper & pulp
Dispersing agents provide a very good performance in paper and pulp applications. They
- serve as pitch and deposit control agent,
- disperse water insoluble sticky materials,
- prevent agglomeration of sticky materials,
- are used as disperants for minerals which improve brightness and opacity,
- enable a visible whiter appearance of the pulp.
Sokalan® NR, PA and CP types for mineral processing
The mineral processing industry uses dispersing agents besides others for minerals like
- grounded calcium carbonate (GCC),
- synthetic CaCO -precipitated CaCO (PCC),
- kaolin (china clay).
The narrow ranged Sokalan® NR polyacrylates are performing excellent. They are leading to a long-lasting low viscosity of the produced water based slurry of solids and liquids. By choosing partly neutralized dispersing additives a fully bi-neutralized polyacrylate is formed in-situ. Those fully in-situ bi-neutralized polyacrylates are ideal dispersing additives for various minerals with excellent performance profile.
Sokalan®, Pluronic® and Tamol® types for textile applications
In the textile industry our Sokalan®, Pluronic® and Tamol® polyacrylates are used as
- sizing agents,
- dispersing agents,
- and protective colloids.
Sokalan® and Tamol® types for rubber applications
Within our Sokalan® polyacrylates range we have specified types for dispersing rubber. BTC’s Tamol® products are used as dispersant agents in the production of rubbers.
Sokalan®, Pluronic® and Tamol® types for various industry applications
In various industries BTC’s dispersing agents are used as
- protective coloid,
- stabilizers for emulsions and suspensions.
Tamol® types for the construction applications
In the construction industry Tamol® types are used as plasticizers.
Sokalan®, Pluronic® and Tamol® types for agriculture applications
In the agriculture industry our dispersing agents are used in plant protection formulations to provide dispersing and compatibility properties with the used pesticide. Pluronic® types are typically used in crop protection formulations, especially those where the solid pesticide (active ingredient) is suspended in water (Suspension Concentrate - SC).
For the manufacture of fertilizers our Tamol® types can be used as an anticaking product.
Further products for industrial applications
Explore also our
- Nonionic surfactants > for chemical-technical applications,
- Anionic surfactant > for chemical-technical applications,
- Agro chemical additives > for crop protection,
- Agro chemical additives > for fertilizer,
- Pigments and pigment preparations > for colouration of fertilizer, seed and agriculture crop protection,
- agriculture industry.
BTC Europe is BASF's European sales organization for small and medium-sized customers focused on specialty chemicals. Our solutions for versatile industrial applications cover surfactants, additives, polymers and colourants.