BTC’s product portfolio covers various types of polyethylene copolymer waxes and oxidized polyethylene waxes. The oxidation of ethylene homopolymers leads to oxidized waxes. They are easier to incorporate into a formulation using surfactants for instance. Thus the development of care formulations with specific claims, like anti-slip, is possible. Poligen® waxes and Poligen® emulsions are ideal products for care applications where protection, polishing or water-repellency, besides others is required.
Our portfolio comprises also various wax emulsions, based on different polyethylene copolymer waxes. Wax emulsions are liquids and are often incorporated in water-based formulations to improve surface properties.
Brands of waxes and wax emulsions
Properties of waxes and wax emulsions
Synthetic waxes like BTC’s Poligen® Wax types refer to pure waxes of oxidized polyethylene waxes or ethylene copolymers. They are defined by their mechanical and physical properties. The chemical constitution is mainly different. Oxidized polyethylene waxes are of high hardness and higher molar mass.
Oxidized waxes are solid at ambient temperature and have a melting point around 100°C. Because of their high melting and setting points, Poligen® Wax are products that can be easily emulsified under pressure in a closed system, for example in a low-pressure autoclave. Nonionic-anionic emulsifier systems composed of fatty alcohol ether ethoxylates together with alkali hydroxide or amines have proved to be particularly effective.
Poligen® products are already emulsified waxes and for ready to formulate purposes. The oxidized ethylene polymers provide the property of emulsification and thus wax emulsions can be prepared.
Applications of waxes and wax emulsions in home care applications
The use of waxes and wax emulsions is versatile. In home care applications waxes are frequently used to modify the surface properties. Waxes are the right additive for the formulation to enhance the gloss or matting effect, to enhance the hydrophobic property or to modify the surface characteristics (anti-slip, mechanically resistance, etc.).
- Poligen® Wax OA is an oxidized PE hard wax. Emulsified Poligen® Wax OA together with other auxiliaries (polymer dispersion) achieves hydrophobization (water-repellent) properties. Prepared Poligen® Wax OA-emulsions are used for automotive waxes, leather polish, shoe polish, textile finishing, and for floor polishes and furniture polishes.
- Poligen® Wax V is a polyvinyl ether with a waxy consistency. Applications are polishes for stone floors, including artificial stone and marble. It is useable as wax solution applied in leather finishing and leather care.
- Poligen® CE is a wax emulsion of copolymerized wax. It is free of an emulsifier and ready to use in formulations intended for usage in surface protection. It is also used in floor polishes as well.
- Poligen® WE is a wax emulsion of hard and soft oxidized PE waxes. In combination with nonionic and anionic emulsifiers Poligen® WE is used in polishing formulations. It is a ready to use wax emulsion for floor-care products as well as for car-polishes.
- Poligen® MW is an aqueous nonionic emulsion of a montanic ester wax. It forms a very buffable film with high gloss and high mechanical stability. Therefore it is useable in a versatile range of applications like floor polishes, leather polishes, car polishes besides others.
BTC Europe is BASF's European sales organization for small and medium-sized customers focused on specialty chemicals. Our waxes and wax emulsions are suitable for a variety of applications, from home care in the detergents and cleaners industry to special uses in the paper, glas, metal, coatings, wood and plastics industries.