BTC offers several forms of high quality vitamin A grades tailored to your specific needs for food and beverage fortification. We can support you to find the best grade, which fits with the matrix of your food product.
Vitamin A plays an important role in the visual system of the eye and in reproductive processes. All higher forms of life require retinol for reproduction. Vitamin A provides protection for the entire ectoderm and benefits growth and functionality of the skin as well as the mucous membranes. Moreover, vitamin A has a positive effect on the immune system by increasing the formation of antibodies.
Consequences of a vitamin A deficiency
- increased light sensitivity
- dry eyes
- impaired adaptation to the dark
- night blindness (hemeralopia)
- reduced resistance to infection
- reproductive disorders
- in children, vitamin A deficiency stunts their growth
- available as vitamin A Acetate, vitamin A Palmitate and vitamin A Propionate (various grades)
- powder and oily forms
- best-in-class flowability and dispersibility
- complies with highest quality standards and regulatory requirements
The use of vitamin A in the food industry is subject to controls due to the risk of overdose. Currently, it may only be used in certain product groups. Depending on the country, these product groups include food products for babies and small children, dietetic food products for weight loss, balanced diets, margarine, spreads, milk and dairy products.
Besides food fortification vitamin A is also used for dietary supplements.
Further specialty chemicals for food fortification
- Vitamin D (Cholecalciferol)
- Vitamin E (Tocopherol)
- Vitamin K1 (Phylloquinone)
- Vitamin B1 (Thiamine)
- Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)
- Vitamin B3 (Nicotinamide)
- Vitamin B5 (Calcium D-Pantothenate)
- Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine)
- Vitamin B9 (Folic acid)
- Vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamin)
- Antioxidants / Natural mixed tocopherols
- Mixed carotenoids from algae source
- Plant sterols
BTC Europe is BASF's European sales organization for small and medium sized customers. Our product range covers selected speciality chemicals and performance polymers to a variety of industries as well as raw materials and additives for the pharma, food, animal nutrition and personal care industry. Our solutions for the human nutrition industry cover health ingredients like vitamins, plant sterols, carotenoids, Omega-3s, conjugated linoleic acid, besides others. As food additives we offer antioxidants, emulsifiers, whipping emulsifiers, baking enzymes, functional fat powders, and lipids.