Beta-carotenes and most other carotenoids have two independent effects in humans: they are a source of vitamin A and have an antioxidative effect. As provitamin A it can enzymatically be converted into retinol on demand. Furthermore, as an antioxidant they are able to scavenge aggressive free radicals or quench singlet oxygen. With these mechanisms cellular damages are reduced. Free radicals affect the membranes, proteins and the DNA. These damages play a role in the development of diseases like cancer or cardiovascular diseases.
In the food industry it is mainly used as a colourant or to fortify food with a provitamin A source, because beta-carotene has better technical characteristics.
- Antioxidant effect
- Inhibition of mutagenicity
- Increased in vivo immune response
- Improved cell-to-cell communication
- Reduction of skin reactions in light dermatoses
- Macula protection from UV light
BTC’s nature identical ß-carotene
- available in powder form, as emulsion and as oily dispersion (various grades)
- high-concentrated products
- very low dust and excellent flowability
- easy dispersibility, stability and bioavailability
- stable colour hues between yellow, orange and red
- complies with highest quality standards and regulatory requirements
For food colouring (E 160a) with a yellow-orange nuance or as provitamin A it is recommended to use beta-carotene emulsions. The colouring effect helps for example to standardize the colour of the product. It is often used in foods like oils, fats, margarine, butter, processed cheese, milk replacement products, ice cream, soups, sauces and egg products.
The beta-carotene products in powder form can be suggested for applications in instant powder drinks, confectionary, candied fruits, biscuits, chewing gums, soup powders, fermented milk products, pasta etc. Different concentrations result in different colour nuances.
For beverage applications, e.g. in fruit juices, fruit beverages and lemonades, BTC is offering a cold-water-dispersible product range. The different concentrations of these products allow the colouring of yellow to orange and red.
Further specialty chemicals for food fortification
- Vitamin A (Retinol)
- Vitamin D (Cholecalciferol)
- Vitamin E (Tocopherol)
- Vitamin K1 (Phylloquinone)
- Vitamin B1 (Thiamine)
- Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)
- Vitamin B3 (Nicotinamide)
- Vitamin B5 (Calcium D-Pantothenate)
- Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine)
- Vitamin B9 (Folic acid)
- Vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamin)
- Antioxidants / Natural mixed tocopherols
- Mixed carotenoids from algae source
- Plant sterols
BTC Europe is BASF's European sales organization for small and medium sized customers. Our product range covers selected speciality chemicals and performance polymers to a variety of industries as well as raw materials and additives for the pharma, food, animal nutrition and personal care industry.
Our solutions for the human nutrition industry cover health ingredients like vitamins, plant sterols, carotenoids, Omega-3s, conjugated linoleic acid, besides others. As food additives we offer antioxidants, emulsifiers, whipping emulsifiers, baking enzymes, functional fat powders, and lipids.