Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) refers to a group of different isomers of linoleic acid. Linoleic acid is an unsaturated fatty acid with 18 carbons and two double bonds (18:2). The conjugated double bonds of linoleic acid are always in the cis-configuration. However CLA sees the conjugated double bonds appearing in either the cis or trans-configuration. They are present at the positions 9 and 11 or 10 and 12. In nature life the fatty acid is produced by ruminants; microorganisms in their digestive system convert linoleic acid into CLA. Therefore CLA is naturally found in meat and milk products. The average daily intake of CLA from natural sources in Europe is between 200-300 mg/d.
CLA intake has an influence on the body composition. The body composition is a term where the body is divided in lean mass, fat mass, water and bone mass. By CLA intake the body fat mass is reduced; this effect may not necessarily be accompanied by a loss of weight.
Overweight and obesity is a social problem in the modern society and a risk factor for chronic diseases like cardiovascular diseases, type 2 diabetes, hypertension and stroke. To prevent these diseases the body composition is more important than the body weight.
Multiple clinical trials with CLA demonstrate the efficacy of CLA to reduce body and maintain muscle mass. A body fat reduction of about 10% is achievable.
The mechanisms of CLA in the body are the inhibition of the enzyme lipo-protein-lipase (LPL), so that the amount of fat that is stored after eating is decreased by promoting the rate of fat burning in the mitochondria. By decreasing the total number of fat cells, it enhances the fat metabolism and the proliferation of preadipocytes into adipocytes is reduced. These mechanisms are reported data from animal studies and in vitro studies.
Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA)
Properties of conjugated linoleic acid (CLA)
- available in powder form, in oily form or integrated in soft gelatine capsules
- sourced from safflower oil
- contains a 50:50 mixture with cis-9, trans-11 and trans-10, cis-12 isomers
- complies with highest quality standards and regulatory requirements
Applications of conjugated linoleic acid (CLA)
Tonalin® products are intended to be used in dietary supplements, e.g. sports nutrition. The liquid oily grades are ideal for soft gelatin capsules, syrups or one-shot supplements. The product has to be protected against oxidation.
For applications with the powder grades, instant powder mixes or nutrition bars are recommended. A neutral pH is necessary for these applications. A usage for tablets is not advisable because the product will not withstand the pressure applied during the high-speed tableting.
Tonalin® may be also used in functional beverages, which are declared as dietary supplements. BTC offers a grade which is water-dispensable and made by spray-drying. The product is almost neutral in taste and odour.
Further products for dietary supplements
Explore also our
- Vitamin A (Retinol) > for dietary supplements
- Vitamin D (Cholecalciferol) > for dietary supplements
- Vitamin E (Tocopherol) > for dietary supplements
- Vitamin K1 (Phylloquinone) > for dietary supplements
- Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) > for dietary supplements
- Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) > for dietary supplements
- Vitamin B3 (Nicotinamide) > for dietary supplements
- Vitamin B5 (Calcium D-Pantothenate) > for dietary supplements
- Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine) > for dietary supplements
- Vitamin B9 (Folic acid) > for dietary supplements
- Vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamin) > for dietary supplements
- Antioxidants / Natural mixed tocopherols > for food and dietary supplements
- Beta-Carotene > for dietary supplements
- Mixed carotenoids from algae source > for dietary supplements
- Lycopene > for dietary supplements
- Lutein > for dietary supplements
- Omega-3 fatty acids > for dietary supplements
- Plant sterols > for dietary supplements
BTC Europe is BASF's European sales organization for small and medium sized customers. Our product range covers selected speciality chemicals and performance polymers to a variety of industries as well as raw materials and additives for the pharma, food, animal nutrition and personal care industry.
Our solutions for the human nutrition industry cover health ingredients like vitamins, plant sterols, carotenoids, Omega-3s, conjugated linoleic acid, besides others. As food additives we offer antioxidants, emulsifiers, whipping emulsifiers, baking enzymes, functional fat powders, and lipids.