Organic acids for technical formulations consist of the product family Lutropur®.
Methansulfonic acid is particularly effective for catalyzing esterification and polymerization reactions, but it is also employed as a catalyst in condensation, cyclization, alkylation and rearrangement reactions. Apart from being used as a catalyst, methansulfonic acid is also employed as a feedstock in the manufacture of salts (the methanesulfonates) and as a solvent to improve yields in various processes.
Brands for technical formulations
Properties of Lutropur®
Lutropur® MSA stands for MSA methansulfonic acid.
- Organic acid with a very versatile application range.
- Combines a number or beneficial physical and chemical properties.
- Strong acid with no oxidizing properties.
- High thermal stability.
- Compared with aromatic sulfonic acids, MSA is particularly useful in the synthesis of chemicals
- The formed organic salts show very good dissolution properties.
- Methansulfonic acid is odourless and has an excellent biodegradability performance.
Applications of Lutropur® MSA
- Use as a catalyst in many chemical reactions like
- The formed salts of methansulfonic acid (mesylates) show a high solubility property.
BTC Europe is BASF's European sales organization for small and medium-sized customers focused on specialty chemicals. Our solutions for the detergents and cleaners industry cover besides our organic acids for detergents & cleaning and for technical formulations also surfactants, water soluble polymers, complexing agents, biocides, colourants, besides others.