To have a complement portfolio of different vitamins, BTC offers you a wide range of the water-soluble B-vitamins. Besides dietary supplements, folic acid is often used to raise up the folate-level in food.
Folic acid is the synthetic form of Folate. Together with natural food folates, they are generally termed as folate, folacin or vitamin B9.
Folate in general plays an important role in the synthesis of RNA and DNA and metabolizes amino acids which are required for cell division. Especially pregnant women have a higher demand for folates and should supplement with folic acid. This helps prevent the foetus from developing major congenital deformities of the brain or spine, including neural tube defects, such as spina bifida and anencephaly.
Properties of vitamin B9 (Folic acid)
- available as crystalline powder
- Yellow-orange colour, odourless and tasteless
- Very slightly soluble in water
- complies with highest quality standards and regulatory requirements
Applications of vitamin B9 (Folic acid)
To prevent folate deficiency, folic acid is added to many food products, e.g. flour, bread, baked goods, dairy products and soft drinks. Besides this, folic acid is also added to iodized table salt. Especially women of childbearing age and pregnant women have an increased demand for folate.
Further products for food fortification
Explore also our
- Vitamin A (Retino) > for foof fortifiaction
- Vitamin D (Cholecalciferol) > for food fortification
- Vitamin E (Tocopherol) > for food fortification
- Vitamin K1 (Phylloquinone) > for food fortification
- Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) > for food fortification
- Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) > for food fortification
- Vitamin B3 (Nicotinamide) > for food fortification
- Vitamin B5 (Calcium D-Pantothenate) > for food fortification
- Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine) > for food fortification
- Vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamin) > for food fortification
- Beta-Carotene > for food fortification
- Mixed carotenoids from algae source > for food fortification
- Lutein > for food fortification
- Lycopene > for food fortification
- Omega-3 fatty acids > for food fortification
- Apocarotenal > for food fortification
- Plant sterols > for food fortification
BTC Europe is BASF's European sales organization for small and medium sized customers. Our product range covers selected specialty chemicals and performance polymers to a variety of industries as well as raw materials and additives for the pharma, food, animal nutrition and personal care industry.
Our solutions for the human nutrition industry cover health ingredients like vitamins, plant sterols, carotenoids, Omega-3s, conjugated linoleic acid, besides others. As food additives we offer antioxidants, emulsifiers, whipping emulsifiers, baking enzymes, functional fat powders, and lipids.