Organic acids for detergents and cleaning consist of the product families Lutropur® and Luvipur®.
Acidic cleaners require an acidic component which can either be a weak or a strong acid. BASF offers two organic acids applicable for acidic cleaners. They attack and dissolve stains, like lime scale or rust, or mineral deposits.
Organic acids are known as being safer, less corrosive, easier to handle as well as easier to dispose of. Especially the use of methansulfonic acid (MSA) provides clearly good advantages because it is odourless. MSA does not consist of oxidizing capable molecules it is thus very compatible with oxidizable ingredients.
Organic acids brands
Properties of organic acids
Properties of Lutropur®
Lutropur® M stands for MSA methansulfonic acid.
- Organic acid with a very versatile application range.
- Unlimited solubility in water
- Combines a number of beneficial physical and chemical properties.
- Strong acid with no oxidizing properties.
- High thermal stability.
- The formed organic salts show very good dissolution properties.
- Free of phosphorus
- Free of nitrogen
- Free of halogens
- Methansulfonic acid is odourless and has an excellent biodegradability performance.
Properties of Luvipur®
Luvipur® FM is known as an organic acid with a typical pungent odour.
- Formic acid in several concentration grades (75%, 85%, and 99%).
- Completely miscible with water and various solvents like ether, acetone, ethyl acetate, glycerol, methanol and ethanol.
- Only partially soluble in benzene, toluene and xylenes.
Applications of organic acids
Applications of Lutropur® M
- Cleaning formulations especially acidic cleaning formulations.
- High efficiency in dissolving hardly soluble incrustations like milk stone.
- Performance enhancer in combination with other inorganic acids.
- Substitute for critical inorganic acids like nitric acid (HNO3), which can release nitrous gases.
Luvipur® FM is an organic acid. FM stands for formic acid.
- Formic acid is a weak acid.
- Main use in home care and industrial & institutional cleaning formulations.
- Ideally to combine with Lutropur® MSA.
- Can be used as neutralizer and acidifier.
- Dissolves and removes calcium based scales in industrial cleaning processes.
Latest Expertise Plus Information to this application:
BTC Europe is BASF's European sales organization for small and medium-sized customers focused on specialty chemicals. Our solutions for the detergents and cleaners industry cover besides our organic acids for detergents & cleaning and for technical formulations also surfactants, water soluble polymers, complexing agents, biocides, colourants, besides others.