BASF is listed in the ‘European Biocidal Products Regulation (EU/528/2012)’ in Article 95 Active Suppliers List for each of the active substances as described below. BTC’s product portfolio comprises the biocides product range from BASF and is therefore compliant with the EU regulation. The products are authorized for the market. The use of the biocides is classified by the product type (PT). Biocides defined as an active substance are single ingredients, which have an activity against or on a harmful organism. An active substance must be further formulated by the customer before entering the market.
Application areas of PT4: products used for disinfection in food and feed
Biocidal product type number 4 (PT4) refers to products used for the disinfection of equipment, containers, consumption utensils, surfaces or pipework associated with the production, transport, storage or consumption of food or feed (including drinking water) for humans and animals.
Protectol® GA - Glutaraldehyde
Protectol® GA is chemically 1,5-pentanedial, also known as Glutaraldehyde and is rated as an active substance.
- It is a liquid water solution and available with a concentration of 50% and 24%. It is miscible in all proportions with water and a range of polar solvents such as methanol, ethanol and propanol.
- Glutaraldehyde aqueous solutions are most stable at acidic pH values.
- With increasing alkalinity, biocidal effects increase in short term but will decrease in the long term.
Protectol® GL - Glyoxal
Protectol® GL is chemically 1,2-Ethanedial, also known as Glyoxal and is rated as an active substance.
- It is a clear, colourless liquid with approximately 40% active and approx. 60% water. It is miscible in all proportions with water and a range of polar organic solvents such as methanol, ethanol and propanol.
- It can also be readily combined with Protectol®GA.
Protectol® FM is chemically formic acid and rated as an active substance.
- It is a colourless to slightly yellow liquid and consists of a pungent, product specific odour.
- Two concentration levels are available, ~85% and ~99%, and it is fully miscible with water.
Protectol® PE is chemically 2-Phenoxyethanol and is rated as an active substance.
- It is a clear, colourless and odorless liquid. It is miscible with water and a range of polar organic solvents, such as ethanol and propylene glycol.
- It can be readily incorporated into a variety of different formulations.
- Protectol® PE is a moderate active against a broad range of microorganisms. For this reason it is often used in combination with other active ingredients. Activity extends over a broad pH range, which means that the product can be used in a wide variety of formulation types.
Protectol® NP S
Protectol® NP S is chemically n-propanol and is rated as an active substance.
- It is a low-viscous liquid with characteristic alcoholic odor and it has an unlimited miscibility with water.
- It is miscible with a wide range of organic solvents like alcohols, ketones, aldehydes, ethers and glycols.
Tinosan® HP is chemically 4,4’ dichloro 2-hydroxydiphenyl ether and is rated as an active substance.
- Tinosan® HP has a broad-spectrum activity and a long lasting activity. It is a slightly viscous, colourless to brownish liquid with low solubility in water but soluble in various solvents like isopropanol, ethanol, glycerol, propylene glycol.
- For incorporation into a formulation Tinosan® is soluble in anionic and nonionic surfactants and compatible with cationic and amphoteric surfactants.
Protectol® GA (Glutaraldehyde) is a highly effective antimicrobial agent. It is active against a broad range of microorganisms and is used in a wide variety of application areas, such as
- surface and instrument disinfection,
- microbiological control of industrial processes (e.g. water treatment, odour control/chemical toilet sanitation).
Protectol® GL is used in formulations of disinfectants for
- hard surfaces,
- animal husbandry,
- sanitizers usually in combination with other active ingredients.
Protectol® FM types are cost effective biocides with a broad spectrum of activity (including against some viruses). The products are effective at relatively low concentration and they are formaldehyde free. They are mainly used in
- veterinary and hard surface disinfection.
Formulations are critical to performance and they are often combined with other active ingredients.
Protectol® PE is used in combination with other active ingredients for the formulation of
- disinfectants and disinfectant cleaners for hard surfaces and surgical instruments.
- It is also commonly used in metal working fluids (MWF) to protect the diluted fluid from microbial spoilage during usage.
Protectol® NP S shows a superior bactericidal activity in comparison to ethanol or isopropanol which are also used for disinfection purposes. Protectol® NP S is used as
- stand alone biocidal active in disinfectants for skin and hand epically for applications in hospital settings.
Tinosan® HP is highly effective against a broad spectrum of bacteria. It is recommended for
- bleach-free disinfectants in household and I&I settings with long-lasting antibacterial effects.