2'-Fucosyllactose (2'-FL) is a component of Human Milk Oligosaccharides (HMO), complex carbohydrates that are naturally present in breast milk. HMOs have been identified as the key differentiating factor between human and bovine milk. For the majority of mothers, 2'-FL is the most abundant HMO in their breast milk. Research has shown that 2'-FL supports the development of healthy gut and immune system, protection against allergic diseases and plays a role in the development of normal brain functions and cognition in early life and beyond.
Based on its prebiotic functions and the ability to inhibit pathogen adhesion and modulate immune functions, 2’-FL is also a very promising agent for digestive health across various age groups. A published clinical study has shown that 2’-FL is well tolerated in healthy adults and can lead to significant shifts in the microbiota (increasing the proportion of actinobacteria, esp. Bifidobacteria). Our PREBILACTM 2'-FL is a prebiotic based on human breast milk and patent-protected for broad use in dietary supplements, functional nutrition and medical food. The digestive support segment comprises 10% of the global dietary supplement market.
What makes BASF’s PREBILACTM 2'-FL unique?
BASF has successfully mastered the complete in-house development of 2'-FL from strain development to downstream processing using a specifically stable HMO fermentation strain designed for large-scale production.
Selection of stable fermentation strains enables us to have a consistent quality of 2'-FL without the use of antibiotics during production. We have long-standing expertise in health ingredients for serving food and supplement markets, including specific regulatory and quality requirements for infant nutrition. We fully focus on safety & quality of our products (Food Safety Certification and cGMP-Food (USA), production under HACCP, compliance with legal requirements on hygienic practice for infant food, Kosher and Halal certification).
Physiological importance of PREBILAC™ 2'-FL
Clinical trials and preclinical studies have shown that 2’-FL contributes to:
- Growth of beneficial intestinal bacteria
- Building up the immune system
- Protection against inflammatory and allergic diseases
- Normalizing gut movements
Properties of PREBILAC™ 2'-FL
- Powder form
- Best-in-class flowability, dispersibility and stability
- Complies with highest quality standards and regulatory requirements
- Great sensorial properties
Applications of PREBILAC™ 2'-FL
PREBILAC™ 2'-FL can be used in dietary supplement formats like e.g. sachets, shots, gummies and chewable tablets. Besides dietary supplements PREBILAC™ 2'-FL is also used for food fortification and infant nutrition.
Further products for dietary supplements
Explore also our
- Vitamin D (Cholecalciferol) > for dietary supplements
- Vitamin E (Tocopherol) > for dietary supplements
- Vitamin K1 (Phylloquinone) > for dietary supplements
- Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) > for dietary supplements
- Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) > for dietary supplements
- Vitamin B3 (Nicotinamide) > for dietary supplements
- Vitamin B5 (Calcium D-Pantothenate) > for dietary supplements
- Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine) > for dietary supplements
- Vitamin B9 (Folic acid) > for dietary supplements
- Vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamin) > for dietary supplements
- Antioxidants / Natural mixed tocopherols > for food and dietary supplements
- Beta-Carotene > for dietary supplements
- Mixed carotenoids from algae source > for dietary supplements
- Lycopene > for dietary supplements
- Lutein > for dietary supplements
- Omega-3 fatty acids > for dietary supplements
- Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) > for dietary supplements
- Plant sterols > for dietary supplements
BTC Europe is BASF's European sales organization for small and medium sized customers. Our product range covers selected specialty chemicals and performance polymers to a variety of industries as well as raw materials and additives for the pharma, food, animal nutrition and personal care industry.
Our solutions for the human nutrition industry cover health ingredients like vitamins, plant sterols, carotenoids, Omega-3s, conjugated linoleic acid, besides others. As food additives we offer antioxidants, emulsifiers, whipping emulsifiers, baking enzymes, functional fat powders, and lipids.