BASF is listed in the ‘European Biocidal Products Regulation (EU/528/2012)’ in Article 95 Active Suppliers List for each of the active substances as described below. BTC’s product portfolio comprises the biocides product range from BASF and is therefore compliant with the EU regulation. The products are authorized for the market. The use of the biocides is classified by the product type (PT). Biocides defined as an active substance are single ingredients, which have an activity against or on a harmful organism. An active substance must be further formulated by the customer before entering the market.
Application areas of PT6: products used for the preservation of manufactured products to ensure their shelf life
Biocidal product type number 6 (PT6) refers to products used for the preservation of manufactured products, other than foodstuffs, feeding stuffs, cosmetics or medicinal products or medical devices by the control of microbial deterioration to ensure their shelf life.
Protectol® GA - Glutaraldehyde
Protectol® GA is chemically 1,5-pentanedial, also known as Glutaraldehyde and is rated as an active substance.
- It is a liquid water solution and available with a concentration of 50% and 24%. It is miscible in all proportions with water and a range of polar solvents such as methanol, ethanol and propanol.
- Glutaraldehyde aqueous solutions are most stable at acidic pH values.
- With increasing alkalinity, biocidal effects increase in short term but will decrease in the long term.
Protectol® FM is chemically formic acid and rated as an active substance.
- It is a colourless to slightly yellow liquid and consists of a pungent, product specific odour.
- Two concentration levels are available, ~85% and ~99%, and it is fully miscible with water.
Protectol® HT - Hexahydrotriazine
Protectol® HT is chemically 1,3,5-tris-(2-hydroxyethyl)-hexadydro-1,3,5-triazine and is rated as an active substance. Further synonym is Hexahydrotriazine.
- It is a biocide that releases formaldehyde (formaldehyde-release biocide). Thus it has a similar range of activity to that of formaldehyde. The release of formaldehyde is depending on pH and temperature but as a general rule the lower the temperature, the lower the amount of formaldehyde and in addition, the release is greater at lower pH.
Protectol® BN - Bronopol
Protectol® BN is chemically 2-Bromo-2-nitropropane-1,3-diol, also known as Bronopol and is rated as an active substance.
- It is available either as solid (white crystals) or as approx. 18% active liquid formulation.
- It can be incorporated readily into aqueous formulation systems.
- Concentrated aqueous solutions may show a tendency to crystallise at low temperature. When aqueous solutions of crystalline material are prepared, Bronopol is most stable when the pH value of the system is acidic.
Protectol® PE is chemically 2-Phenoxyethanol and is rated as an active substance.
- It is a clear, colourless and odorless liquid. It is miscible with water and a range of polar organic solvents, such as ethanol and propylene glycol.
- It can be readily incorporated into a variety of different formulations.
- Protectol® PE is a moderate active against a broad range of microorganisms. For this reason it is often used in combination with other active ingredients. Activity extends over a broad pH range, which means that the product can be used in a wide variety of formulation types.
Protectol® GA (Glutaraldehyde) is a highly effective antimicrobial agent. It is active against a broad range of microorganisms and is used in a wide variety of application areas, such as
- surface and instrument disinfection,
- microbiological control of industrial processes (e.g. water treatment, odour control/chemical toilet sanitation).
Protectol® FM types are cost effective biocides with a broad spectrum of activity (including against some viruses). They are effective at relatively low concentration and are formaldehyde free. They are mainly used in
- veterinary disinfection,
- hard surface disinfection.
Formulations are critical to performance and they are often combined with other active ingredients.
Protectol® HT as Active Substance is used to make preservation formulations used for
- metalworking fluids,
- industrial additives,
- polymer dispersions and lubricants,
- latex emulsions,
- water dispersible paints.
Protectol® BN (Bronopol) has a broad spectrum of activity against all groups of bacteria. It is suitable for a wide range of applications like
- industrial product preservation,
- consumer product preservation,
- odour control and sanitisation,
- as water biocide and paper biocide.
Protectol® PE is used in combination with other active ingredients for the formulation of
- disinfectant cleaners,
- for hard surfaces,
- for surgical instruments.