Oxygenated solvents for coatings applications are polar solvents consisting of the product families Butoxies (Solvenon® PnBs), Butyl Glycols, Acetates, and n-Propanol.
Brands for coatings
PENTANOL (n-AMYL ALCOHOL)
Properties of polar solvents for coatings
Properties of Glycols
- Colourless, neutral, slightly hygroscopic, mobile liquid with a mild odour.
- Glycols are miscible with water and common organic solvents in all proportions at room temperature.
- The miscibility of n-Hexyl Glycol with water is however limited.
Properties of Solvenon®
Solvenon® types are also known as Butoxies or as PnB, DPnB or TPnB
- Dependent on the product Solvenon® types have different volatilities and low odour.
- Other properties depend on the individual product, making them suitable for different purposes.
Properties of n-Propanol
- Mild smelling alcohol, semi volatile, polar and clear.
- Low-viscosity and water missible.
- Solvent of high purity and a starting material for synthesis of coatings raw materials.
Properties of Acetates
- Low to medium volatity.
- With solvent power for numerous natural and synthetic resins and dyes.
Properties of Pentanol, also known as n-Amyl Alcohol
- Colourless liquid and missible with the common organic solvents.
Applications of polar solvents
Applications of Glycols in coatings
- Used as flow promotors.
- They reduce the tendency to blistering.
- Glycols improve the levelling and the gloss.
- Butyl Glycols can be used to coalesce our Acronal® dispersions in order to reach best properties of film forming and glass transition temperatures.
Applications of Solvenon® in coatings
- Used for dispersion paints as coalescent aid.
- Further applications are paint strippers and industrial coatings.
Applications of Acetates in coatings
- Used as solvents in coatings applications.
- Especially they can be used for the production of ecologically benign CFC-free solvent for aerosol sprays.
Applications of n-Propanol in coatings
- Used as semi volatile alcohol for improving the drying properties in coatings.
Applications of n-Propanol S in coatings
- Used for applications where a very high purity is required.
Applications of Pentanol in coatings
- Used as paint solvent.
Latest Expertise Plus Information on oxygenated solvents / polar solvents for coatings: Oxygenated solvents now also available from BTC