To have a complement portfolio of different vitamins, BTC offers you a wide range of the water-soluble B-vitamins. Besides dietary supplements vitamin B12 is also used for food fortification. Our BTC expert team will help you to find the best solution for your end-product.
Vitamin B12 (Cobalamin) is a collective term for compounds which have a cobalt atom in the centre of a porphyrin-type ring system, but different substituents. Vitamin B12 is responsible for degradation of certain fatty acids and amino acids. It plays an important role for the methyl group transfer in the synthesis of amino acids. Therefore, vitamin B12 is important during the synthesis of nucleic acids and proteins. It plays an important role in growth and development processes. Gastric intrinsic factor is required for absorption with low (dietary) vitamin B12 intake of up to approximately 5 μg, whereas with higher intakes, particularly supplemental, intrinsic factor is not required for absorption. Vitamin B12 is mainly found in food that comes from animals.
Vitamin B12 deficiency often occurs in people with a vegetarian/vegan diet. For people with a balanced diet, a vitamin B12 deficiency is extremely rare and manifests itself most clearly in the megaloblastic anaemia (pernicious anaemia) and neurological disorders.
Properties of vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamin)
- Cyanocobalamin with 0,1% and 1,0% concentration
- available in power form
- free-flowing, pink powder with mild characteristic odour
- somewhat soluble in water, soluble in alcohol
- complies with highest quality standards and regulatory requirements
Applications of vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamin)
To prevent vitamin B12 deficiency, the product is added to a large number of food products, such as food for babies and small children, food products for athletes (sports nutrition), dietetic products, energy drinks, milk powder, multi-vitamin juices, drink powders, confectionary and breakfast cereals. The dry powder is especially suitable for use in powder food products, which are dissolved in water or milk prior to consumption. It can also be used in vitamin mixtures in the food ingredient industry.
As it does not contain proteins, the product is particularly suitable for use in hypoallergenic food products.
Further products for food fortification
Explore also our
- Vitamin A (Retinol) > for food fortification
- Vitamin D (Cholecalciferol) > for food fortification
- Vitamin E (Tocopherol) > for food fortification
- Vitamin K1 (Phylloquinone) > for food fortification
- Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) > for food fortification
- Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) > for food fortification
- Vitamin B3 (Nicotinamide) > for food fortification
- Vitamin B5 (Calcium D-Pantothenate) > for food fortification
- Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine) > for food fortification
- Vitamin B9 (Folic acid) > for food fortification
- Antioxidants / Natural mixed tocopherols > for food and dietary supplements
- Apocarotenal > for food fortification
- Beta-Carotene > for food fortification
- Mixed carotenoids from algae source > for food fortification
- Lutein > for food fortification
- Lycopene > for food fortification
- Omega-3 fatty acids > for food fortification
- Plant sterols > for food fortification
BTC Europe is BASF's European sales organization for small and medium sized customers. Our product range covers selected speciality chemicals and performance polymers to a variety of industries as well as raw materials and additives for the pharma, food, animal nutrition and personal care industry.
Our solutions for the human nutrition industry cover health ingredients like vitamins, plant sterols, carotenoids, Omega-3s, conjugated linoleic acid, besides others. As food additives we offer antioxidants, emulsifiers, whipping emulsifiers, baking enzymes, functional fat powders, and lipids.