Carotenoids are plant pigments with a colour spectrum of yellow to orange and red. Mainly they appear in the chromoplasts of the plants. Animals are not able to synthesize carotenoids.
The carotenoids are divided into two groups: the carotenes (hydrocarbons) and the xanthophylls (oxygenated derivates of the hydrocarbons). The Xantophylls are responsible for the yellow coloration of leaves in autumn.
Naturally occurring carotenoids are completely insoluble in water and they are associated with lipids which they impart their colour for example milk fat, palm oil, tomatoes and carrots.
Carotenoids are not essential but they have a lot of important functions in the human body.
- Antioxidant effect
- Inhibition of mutagenicity
- Increased in vivo immune response
- Improved cell-to-cell communication
- Reduction of skin reactions in light dermatoses
- Macula protection from UV light
Properties of Beta-carotene
BTC’s nature identical ß-carotene
- available in powder form, as emulsion and as oily dispersion (various grades)
- high-concentrated products
- very low dust and excellent flowability
- easy dispersibility, stability and bioavailability
- stable colour hues between yellow, orange and red
- complies with highest quality standards and regulatory requirements
Applications of Beta-carotene
Beta-carotene can be used for dietary supplement purposes in multivitamin tablets or beta-carotene tablets. The advantage of beta-carotene is that no upper safe level for the use of beta-carotene as provitamin A has been established in contrast to the vitamin A. Additionally an application in hard gelatine capsules is possible. For applications in soft capsules the beta-carotene dispersions are suitable as provitamin A or as colourant (E 160a).
Further products for dietary supplements
Explore also our
- Vitamin A (Retinol) > for dietary supplements
- Vitamin D (Cholecalciferol) > for dietary supplements
- Vitamin E (Tocopherol) > for dietary supplements
- Vitamin K1 (Phylloquinone) > for dietary supplements
- Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) > for dietary supplements
- Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) > for dietary supplements
- Vitamin B3 (Nicotinamide) > for dietary supplements
- Vitamin B5 (Calcium D-Pantothenate) > for dietary supplements
- Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine) > for dietary supplements
- Vitamin B9 (Folic acid) > for dietary supplements
- Vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamin) > for dietary supplements
- Antioxidants / Natural mixed tocopherols > for food and dietary supplements
- Mixed carotenoids from algae source > for dietary supplements
- Lycopene > for dietary supplements
- Lutein > for dietary supplements
- Omega-3 fatty acids > for dietary supplements
- Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) > for dietary supplements
- Plant sterols > for dietary supplements
BTC Europe is BASF's European sales organization for small and medium sized customers. Our product range covers selected speciality chemicals and performance polymers to a variety of industries as well as raw materials and additives for the pharma, food, animal nutrition and personal care industry.
Our solutions for the human nutrition industry cover health ingredients like vitamins, plant sterols, carotenoids, Omega-3s, conjugated linoleic acid, besides others. As food additives we offer antioxidants, emulsifiers, whipping emulsifiers, baking enzymes, functional fat powders, and lipids.