Phytosterols (plant sterols) are natural fat components, which are present in all plants. Their chemical structure is very similar to cholesterol, wherefore phytosterols and cholesterol compete in absorption in the gut. As a result, less cholesterol is absorbed, what lowers levels of total blood and LDL cholesterol. Since high cholesterol blood levels are known to be a risk factor for cardiovascular diseases (CVD), plant sterols can help to reduce the potential of for example atheriosclerosis, coronary heart diseases and stroke.
Naturally Phytosterols are found in sunflower seeds, sesame, wheat germs and various nuts. Due to its positive health effect, it is often added to food to raise the plant sterol level. A very famous example is the fortification of margarine. The amount of 2–3g Phytosterols per day has been defined to be the most effective and safe dose.
Properties of phytosterols (plant sterols)
- available in oil and powder form
- naturally sourced ingredients
- broad range of free phytosterols and phytosterol esters
- scientifically supported and regulatory compliant in the major markets
- excellent sensory profiles
- complies with highest quality standards and regulatory requirements
Applications of phytosterols (plant sterols)
The Vegapure® product range is intended for use in functional food and functional dairy food products. The Vegapure® products are almost neutral in taste and odour.
The oily grades of the product are suitable for the applications in margarines and products on fat/oil base.
The powder grades can be used for applications like bread enriched with sterols.
Selected grades of the Vegapure® product line is intended for usage in cloudy functional beverages such as fruit juices. The product is almost neutral in taste and odour.
Further products for food fortification
Explore also our
- Vitamin A (Retinol) > for food fortification
- Vitamin D (Cholecalciferol) > for food fortification
- Vitamin E (Tocopherol) > for food fortification
- Vitamin K1 (Phylloquinone) > for food fortification
- Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) > for food fortification
- Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) > for food fortification
- Vitamin B3 (Nicotinamide) > for food fortification
- Vitamin B5 (Calcium D-Pantothenate) > for food fortification
- Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine) > for food fortification
- Vitamin B9 (Folic acid) > for food fortification
- Vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamin) > for food fortification
- Antioxidants / Natural mixed tocopherols > for food and dietary supplements
- Apocarotenal > for food fortification
- Beta-Carotene > for food fortification
- Mixed carotenoids from algae source > for food fortification
- Lutein > for food fortification
- Lycopene > for food fortification
BTC Europe is BASF's European sales organization for small and medium sized customers. Our product range covers selected speciality chemicals and performance polymers to a variety of industries as well as raw materials and additives for the pharma, food, animal nutrition and personal care industry.
Our solutions for the human nutrition industry cover health ingredients like vitamins, plant sterols, carotenoids, Omega-3s, conjugated linoleic acid, besides others. As food additives we offer antioxidants, emulsifiers, whipping emulsifiers, baking enzymes, functional fat powders, and lipids.