Polar solvents for construction applications are oxygenated solvents consisting of the product families Butoxies (Solvenon® PnBs), Butyl Glycols, and Acetates.
Brands for construction materials
Properties of polar solvents for construction materials
Properties of Glycols
- Colourless, neutral, slightly hygroscopic, mobile liquid with a mild odour.
- Glycols are miscible with water and common organic solvents in all proportions at room temperature.
- The miscibility of n-Hexyl Glycol with water is however limited.
Properties of Solvenon®
Solvenon® types are also known as Butoxies or as PnB, DPnB or TPnB
- Dependent on the product Solvenon® types have different volatilities and low odour.
- Other properties depend on the individual product, making them suitable for different purposes.
Properties of Acetates
- Low to medium volatity.
- With solvent power for numerous natural and synthetic resins and dyes.
Applications of polar solvents for construction materials
Applications of Glycols for construction materials
- Used as flow promotors in construction.
- Glycols reduce the tendency to blistering.
- Glycols improve the levelling and the gloss.
- Butyl Glycols can be used to coalesce our Acronal® dispersions in order to reach best properties of film forming and glass transition temperatures.
Applications of Solvenon® for construction materials
- Used for dispersion paints as coalescent aid.
Applications of Acetates for construction materials
- Used as solvents.
Latest Expertise Plus Information on oxygenated solvents / polar solvents for construction materials: Oxygenated solvents now also available from BTC